Golden Boy (ゴールデンボーイ Gōruden Bōi) is a Japanese manga series by Tatsuya Egawa about a 25-year-old freeter, pervert, and "travelling student" Kintaro Oe. The manga was originally serialized in Shueisha's Super Jump starting in 1992, with the first collected volume released the following year. Parts of the manga were adapted into a six episode OVA series produced by Shueisha and KSS in 1995, which was subsequently released through ADV Films in North America. ADV's license of the series expired in 2006, however, and in July 2007, Media Blasters acquired the license to it, and has been confirmed that the dub produced by ADV was kept.
Kintaro, despite having met the requirements for a degree, left Tokyo University without graduating. Golden Boy depicts him living the life of a free spirit, roaming Japan from town to town, job to job. During his travels, Kintaro meets several women whose lives he dramatically changes, despite poor first impressions. He constantly observes and studies the people and events around him, recording his findings in a notebook he carries on his belt.
The Golden Boy OVA has been positively received by English-language reviewers, but it is widely known for its mature content: while the OVA is not strictly a hentai animation, it does feature instances of partial female nudity, orgasms and female masturbation. In contrast, the manga becomes almost pornographic starting in the second volume.
Kintaro Oe (大江錦太郎 Ōe Kintarō)
- English Voice Actor: Doug Smith
- Jap seiyuu: Mitsuo Iwata
Kintaro Oe is a 25 year old freeter, meaning he does odd jobs whenever or wherever they are needed. He is extremely perverted even going to the extent of praising the toilet that the girl of his liking uses. Usually, Kintaro finds the women leading him to a job, he then performs that job horribly, but as the days go by he progresses and learns a lot and usually saves the business he is working for, while leaving the women he was after in love with him, only to leave town before he gets the praise he deserves.
- Kintaro carries around a small notebook in which he writes everything that he learns from life. It usually describes people and their behaviors. Kintaro writing in his notebook is also part of the comic relief, because he sometimes writes idiotic notes such as "Human heads cannot turn 360 degrees".
- When riding his bicycle he utters the word "study" over and over again never stopping till he reaches his destination.
- Women are scary.
- The human head cannot turn 360 degrees.
- Even Buddha could only wait 3 times
- Don't misquote proverbs. . .
- Life is a mystery.
- The road to perfect pasta is a long and scary one.
- "C-Base" does not mean sex.
- Don't waste energy! Conservation is cool!
- Animation is incredibly cool!
- Never mess with an animator's desk.
- It's all a matter of studying!!
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|